Thursday, February 7, 2013

10 Things That Are A Waste of Time!

As I step back and take a look at my life and where I spend my time I find there are activities that I engage in that are perhaps, if I can be blunt, a "complete waste of time!" On the flip side of that, however, there are certain things in my life that I do that are "not a waste of time."

Today, I am looking at the 10 Things in my life that are a Waste of Time.

1. Worry & Anxiety. This is an area of my life that I spend way to much time in! If you can name it, I will come up with 100 reasons why to worry and fret about it! I can even give you a list of tips and techniques on "how" to worry and fret if you want it! It is amazing how much time I spend worrying and fretting about everything! And anxiety? Oh, I am an expert in this field! I am trying to overcome my worry, anxieties, and fears. It truly is a daily struggle - sometimes it is a minute-by-minute struggle! 


2. Holding Grudges. Okay, this one kind of goes without saying! Holding grudges (and holding on to the past) is a big waste of time! I heard someone say "if you walk looking backwards you will surely trip!" That is so true! I can't move forward if I keep looking backwards - I will surely trip, fall, or go the wrong way! Its time for me to let my past go! Time for me to progress forward and not look back! The past is what makes me "me", but I don't have to hold on to it so tightly! Its time for me to release it!


3. Trying to figure everything out! This is a daily struggle for me! Every day I waste precious time trying to figure everything out! I think, ponder, reflect, and analyze everything! If someone says something I will "over-think" (as my husband calls it) every last morsel of their words! What they said. How they said it. What they "really" meant. What they were trying to actually tell me but didn't. This doesn't just happen with words, but with the actions of people and every event that take place in my life. My brain is constantly spinning and this, my friend, is a huge waste of time for me! I need to stop and just let everything flow, but it is so difficult for me.


4. Caring What People Think. This area of my life needs some work as well. At the age of 42 you would think that I have learned to not care what people think, to be content in my own skin, and to just embrace who I am. This is not the case! I still want to please people and will go against the person I was created to be even to accomplish that. I'm not sure why I do it, but believe me when I say this, "it is a complete waste of time!"


5. Checking My Website & Blog Stats. Okay, this one is interesting! Within the last month or so (since I've started my blog, website, facebook page) I have spent countless minutes checking my stats, figuring the entire process out, and changing images, fonts, and the style around. What a waste of time! In the last day or so I have realized that its not the "plate" that makes the meal look good, its the "meat and potatoes!" Sure, it may look good, but does it nourish others? Is it tasty?


6. Mid-day Napping! Oh how I love my mid-day naps! Some days I look forward to them! I ask myself, "why do I take them?" I still haven't figured that out (see #3 above). I just know that I love them and need to refrain from doing them. Do I have small children at home that nap and I nap with them? Nope. Do I get up really early every morning and need them? Nope. I get up at 630am and take my son to school and come back home to work out of my house. Does my body need them? I'm not sure, but it is probably the reason I have trouble falling asleep at night. LOL And, to be honest, it really is a waste of an hour of my day!


7. Checking Social Media. I don't think I am alone in this area! I am constantly checking emails, reading my newsfeed, posting to my facebook page, googling something, playing games, texting, tweeting, taking pictures, posting, and trying to make videos! UGH! My phone, tablet, and laptop are always within reach! Why? I don't know! I guess I'm just afraid I will miss something! I need to stop! It is taking over! My time is too precious for this! And believe me, it is a waste of time in my life! I mean there are times when I need to check and do these things, but it really is taking over and I need to cut down on the time spent in "social media land!" My husband can go days without checking his and I am baffled!


8. Arguing Just To Prove A Point. Oh how much time is spent arguing just to prove a point! Maybe I'm alone in this, but I will argue, argue, argue just to prove I am right! I have even been known to google, check the dictionary, thumb through a thesaurus, and oh so much more just to prove I am right! Why? I have no clue, but the time it takes to argue, research, confirm, and engage are pointless! They really are pointless and a waste of time!


9. Selfishness. Is it really all about me? Am I really the most important? Do my needs really surpass those of others? Is it really a "I'm going to take care of me because no one else will" world? Honestly, no it is not! Imagine a world where everyone was selfish and only cared about themselves! It would be like a room full of toddlers! "Mine, Mine, Mine" That is all we would hear! Its time for me to set my own agenda aside and start thinking of others more. Its time for me to meet the needs of others, encourage others, and help others! Trust me... being selfish is a waste of time!


10. Harboring Unhealthy Thoughts! This time-waster sort of ties into my #3 above ("Trying to Figure Everything Out") but it does need its own spot on my list! I am really struggling in this area! I know the things to "think on" but sometimes my mind and thoughts just journey! They go to places that I know they shouldn't go! They travel over to "Un-Healthy Thought Land!" If I could give you a piece of advice, stop your thoughts before they go here! The Bible says in Phillipians 4:8: "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things." (NKJV) This is where my thoughts should be.. things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, and praiseworthy. This, my friend, is "Healthy Thought Land!" I am working daily to stay here!
 
Have a Blessed Day!


************

My post was featured at Thriving Thursdays!
Thank you so much! Words can't express my
gratitude! You are amazing!



************

I'm sharing this at: Teach Me Tuesday, Wise Woman Linkup, Works for Me WednesdayThriving Thursdays, Thoughtful Thursday, Almost Friday, Womanhood with Purpose, Fellowship Fridays

10 comments:

  1. Great list! I'd love for you to share on my Thriving Thursday link up today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful blog! Now following!! HOpe you follow back!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Crystal for your encouraging comments! They are so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Crystal @ Serving Joyfully! I added my blog to your link up! Thanks again for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, this is convicting! There were a few things on that list that I could totally relate to... especially #1! Worry is so pointless!!
    Thanks for linking up with CMB today. I'm glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God put your blog in my face yes very convicting and on time. It is amazing how we can hear Him when we share with each other.
    God's grace, peace, light, and love

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful list to keep ourselves in check! I've been guilty of everyone at one time or another. I'm working on them! I found you at Thriving Thursday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you each one for your kind and encouraging words! They mean so much to me!

    ~Melissa~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm from Brazil and these words have been blessing me a lot these days. Thank you! God is using your life to bless people around the world.

    ReplyDelete