Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Bible - What is your favorite version?


Sometimes I am asked what version of the Bible do I use? Which is my favorite?

The majority of the references to scripture that I use are from the King James Version (KJV). The reason behind that is due to the fact that most people recognize these scriptures and the wording in this version of the Bible. Remember back to those "memory verses" as a child from Sunday School class? I would guess to say that the majority are from the King James Version of the Bible.

I really like the Amplified Bible (AMP) and the New Living Translation (NLT) as well. These two versions are similar to me. They both give "real life" ways to apply the Bible and scriptures to your daily life. They both give detailed descriptions of the scripture. Some of the verses can be quite lengthy though and they are compounded together frequently.

My absolute favorite version of The Bible is The Message (MSG). Whoa! This is a good one! This version displays the scripture in a easy to read manner. It is in plain English - which is a plus for me!

Here is a popular verse that the majority of people will know. It is Psalm 23. I have added it in different versions to give you an example. These are taken from one of my favorite Bible reference websites (Bible Gateway).

King James Version (KJV)
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Psalm 23:1)

New King James Version (NKJV)
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Psalm 23:1)

New Living Translation (NLT)
The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. (Psalm 23:1)

Amplified Bible (AMP)
The Lord is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack. (Psalm 23:1)

The Message (MSG)
God, my shepherd! I don’t need a thing. (Psalm 23:1)

English Standard Version (ESV)
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Psalm 23:1)


As you can see there are a lot of versions of The Bible. Each one is a little different in the translation, but yet they are all the same. If you look around and sample different versions and translations, you will find one that you like the best!

What is YOUR favorite version or translation of The Bible?


*******

A NOTE ON BIBLE GATEWAY's WEBSITE:
This is an amazing website that is loaded with helpful information! They have a verse of the day, many different versions of The Bible, and a lot of Bible reference information. They even have an app! I just love this site!

No comments:

Post a Comment